Welcome OMFS and other specialists
Becoming a Surgeon
There are six Canadian Training Centres for candidates to obtain their education as an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon:
Dr. Curtis Gregoire
Program Director, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery,
Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Sciences
Faculty of Graduate Studies
5981 University Avenue – Room 5132, PO Box 15000
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4R2
Tel: (902) 494-1679; Fax: (902) 494-6411
Michelle Harris, Administrative Assistant
Dr. Jordan Gigliotti,
Division Director, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
Assistant Professor, Faculty of Dental Medicine and Oral Health Sciences
McGill University Health Centre
Montreal General Hospital
C3-117, 1650 Cedar Ave
Montreal, Quebec H3G 1A4
Tel: (514) 934-1934 ext. 42492
Sabrina Sicilia,Student Affairs Administrator
Dr. Carl Bouchard and Dr. Annie-Claude Valcourt,
Co-Program Directors, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Training Program
Faculté de médecine dentaire
University Hospital Centre (CHU) Québec, Laval University
Dr. Carl Bouchard
Dr. Annie-Claude Valcourt
Adjointe à l’enseignement universitaire
(418) 649-0252, ext. 63200
Dr. Adnan Shah,
Program Director, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Program
College of Dentistry, Faculty of Health Sciences
D-343 790 Bannatyne Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3E 0W2
Tel: (204) 789-3684; Fax: (204) 272-3077
Brenda Gerwing, Dental Clinical Graduate Programs Office, Dean’s Office, Dr. Gerald Niznick College of Dentistry
Tel: (204) 789-3684
Dr. Marco Caminiti,
Program Director, Discipline of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
Faculty of Dentistry
124 Edward Street
Toronto, ON M5G 1G6
Tel: (416) 979-4922 ext. 1-4330; Fax: (416) 979-4754
Dr. Michael Shimizu,
Division Chair, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
Program Director GPR
1151 Richmond Street
London, ON N6A 5C1
Tel: (519) 661-2111 ext. 33451
Postgraduate Program Coordinator, Dentistry
(519) 685-8500, ext. 32198
In all provinces, candidates for OMFS must first hold a dental degree (DDS) and be able to demonstrate successful completion of the National Dental Examining Board exams. The candidate must then complete an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery residency program and pass the National Dental Specialty Examination (NDSE) in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery administered by the Royal College of Dentists of Canada (RCDC).
In rare cases, individuals who have not completed this graduate degree may be considered once vetted through a comprehensive process that involves a review of credentials, completion of an eligibility exam, assessment of clinical competencies, possible gap training, and then completion of the NDSE.
The licensing requirements for individuals to become certified as an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon fall under the Provincial Jurisdiction for the province in which the OMFS practices.
There are a number of OMFS who pursue further training to become experts in this area of specialty. Some OMFS programs are dual degree, meaning that the surgeon earns a dental degree (DDS) as well as a medical degree (MD), plus their graduate degree in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. The surgeon gains training in a hospital-based program where they are able to complete rotations with all of the areas of medical specialties. In addition, some OMFS will acquire sub specialty training by completing a fellowship program in an accredited program that further advances their skills.
Visit the RCDC website for more information, including certification and licensure information for international candidates seeking to practice oral surgery in Canada.
Become a member of the CAOMS
There are many benefits to joining the CAOMS, such as excellent continuing education opportunities at our annual events, providing valuable input about issues that affect our specialty, and being part of a vibrant community of your peers.
I love the CAOMS because...
Improve communication among members
The (CRAOMS), is a branch of the Canadian Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (CAOMS). This resident association was developed for residents studying in Canada, the United States and abroad to improve communication between resident programs, and to provide support for residents during their studies.
Wondering where to advertise an OMS job opportunity? Or how to buy oral surgery equipment? Or perhaps you are looking to join a group of oral surgeons in a thriving practice? The CAOMS Job Board & Classifieds section is the place to view and post such advertisements!
Oral Surgery Practice for Sale (Comox Valley, BC)
State of the art OMFS practice is seeking a certified OMFS as an associate transitioning to ownership. We perform the full scale of OMFS procedures and have privileges in 2 hospitals.
Overlooking the picturesque Comox Bay with views of the Beaufort mountain range, we operate a high end clinic with a team of experienced deep sedation assistants who are DAANCE and ACLS certified.
With an extensive referral base, our practice serves the entire mid to north Island and surrounding coastal islands.
Our collections are above average and we have a six month wait list for surgeries.
We look to find an enthusiastic, community minded, highly motivated team player.
ADD LIFE TO YOUR YEARS IN CANADA’S RECREATION CAPITAL.
Please contact email@example.com or text 250-897-6600 for more information.
Post added: May 5th
Abbotsford Oral Surgery (Abbotsford, BC)Opportunity: A busy and growing single-practitioner office seeking an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon (OMFS) interested in an Associate opportunity leading to a long-term, full-time Partnership. About us:
- A full scope private practice in the Fraser Valley (Abbotsford), BC.
- Established long term relationships with referring practices with a strong referral base.
- Modern, state-of-the-art, accredited deep sedation facility and fully digital (charting, CBCT, IO scanner and GPS implant machine…)
- Provide comprehensive and compassionate oral surgery care, including implants, pathology, orthognathics, facial trauma…
- Principal has hospital privileges.
- Knowledgeable, caring, and compassionate team
- Professional, engaging, rewarding and positive workplace and culture.
- Excellent remuneration and work-life balance
- Mentorship opportunities
- Opportunity for full-time permanent position (offer additional days at other location/satellite practices)
- We are open to collaboration and discussing a mutually beneficial schedule and commitment.
- Empathetic, professional, motivated, and caring individual who strives for excellence when treating patients.
- Qualified and Canadian board-certified OMFS (new graduates welcomed)
Oral and maxillofacial surgeon to work on a percentage basis, full time, in the Gatineau area.
Benefits of this position:
- Working in a private clinic with Dr. Mario Dumas, who has over 25 years of experience
- The Gatineau area is experiencing rapid demographic and economic growth
- Construction of a new hospital in Gatineau with all the medical and dental specialties
- Well-located and well-equipped clinic for the specialty including digital technology (e.g., CBCT 3D imaging) for practical experience matching your training
- A solid and experienced team of passionate dental professionals to support you
- Complete management of the office and staff by the clinical and corporate teams
- A schedule that can balance work and life
- High patient volume from day one, including jaw (orthognathic) surgery
- Referral of patients from the six other clinics in the nearby network
- Hospital privileges supported by Dr. Dumas
- Privilege of being mentored by Dr. Dumas in both the clinic and the operating room
- Full patient focus for a long-term career without the burden of administrative tasks
For more information, contact Dr. Mario Dumas firstname.lastname@example.org
or Suzanne Francoeur 514-916-9843 email@example.com
Maxillo Hull (Clareo Network)
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Implantology
15, Montclair Street, Suite 201, Gatineau (Hull sector), Quebec, J8Y 2E2
Post added: Apr 19th
Pacific Coast Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery is hiring a full-time associate Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon. We are a forward-thinking, busy, private oral surgery practice in Surrey, British Columbia. We offer a broad scope of surgery, including dentoalveolar, trauma, pathology, implant and orthognathic surgery, with an almost 30-year history and solid referral base. A strong relationship with the local hospital. Potential to expand in areas such as cosmetics if desired.
Recently renovated spacious, state-of-the-art office. Fully accredited for GA and deep sedation. All digital radiography, CBCT, Pan, and electronic records. Very experienced, professional staff, including a combination of RNs and surgical assistants on the clinical side. This associate position leads to a buy-in/partnership opportunity with an easy, affordable buy-in structure without a bank loan.
Enjoy the thriving West Coast lifestyle with breathtaking views, beautiful beaches, and easy access to world-class skiing. Surrey is 2nd largest city in beautiful BC and one of the fastest-growing communities in Canada.
Post added: Apr 4th
An excellent opportunity to join and own an established OMS practice in central Vancouver.
Facial cosmetics and orthognathic surgery practice focus with long term experiences in dentoalveolar and TMJ. Hospital access and mentorship with eventual takeover of the practice.
Large physical facility and excellent staff.
Please reply with resume and personal information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Look forward to meeting up.
Post added: Jan 18th
Locally owned, full scope OMFS practice in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. This is a city of 230,000 with a half million patient catchment area. Great opportunity to focus on patient care rather than referral retention.
3700 sf practice, 5 surgical suites including 2 GA suites, CBCT. The office was relocated 6 years ago due to high demand and to provide state of the art care. Strong OR presence with over 150 major cases performed each year (orthognathic, TMJ, pathology, cleft and trauma).
Regina, the capital of Saskatchewan, has easy access to the international airport, great place to raise a family, great lake life, great place to apply all your training, and to pay off your debt.
FRCD(C) and/or NDSE required. New grads and experienced surgeons encouraged to apply.
Email email@example.com if interested
Post added: Jan 1st
This is a one-year comprehensive fellowship in surgical and dental management of sleep breathing disorders and facial deformities at the Toronto Rehab Institute within the University Health Network, a world class teaching hospital in Toronto, Canada.
This is a salaried position commencing July 1, 2023 to June 30, 2024; Candidates must be Canadian or American Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery trained and are required to hold a certificate of registration from the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario (RCDSO). ABOMS or FRCDC preferred but not required.
Post added: Nov 30th
Opportunity: Chilliwack Oral Surgery is a full scope private practice with a strong referral base. It was established in 2013, and we remain a busy and growing single-practitioner office seeking an experienced oral and maxillofacial surgeon or new graduate interested in an associate opportunity leading to a long-term, full-time partnership.
Interested and qualified candidates, please submit an electronic copy of your CV and an introductory cover letter to: Admin@Chilliwackoralsurgery.com
Post added: Nov 3rd
Oral Surgery – Winnipeg – $800k Income Potential
We are recruiting a surgeon to a well-established practice in Manitoba. You’ll have every resource you need to succeed. This practice is in a growing market with no shortage of patients. With state-of-the-art equipment and highly skilled support staff, all you need to do is step in and start seeing patients.
- Two surgeon practice seeking an additional associate
- Variety of cases and 20 – 25 patients per day
- Develop an elective practice to suit your interests
- Most advanced equipment on the market
Finances / Benefits:
- $600k+ income potential
- Potential for a future equity stake
- Signing incentives & access to benefits
About the area:
- The largest city in Manitoba
- Low Cost of Living & robust housing market
- Food lovers paradise, arts, culture & more
Please get in touch with Kevin Dodson at 469-708-4133 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Post added: Sept 21st
- Renowned private office (for 30 years) located in a prestigious building with a magnificent view of Ottawa
- Upcoming construction of a new large-scale hospital in Gatineau – Proximity of the office to the current hospital as well as the future hospital
- Environment recognizing our expertise and possibility of actively practicing all maxillofacial traumatology, orthognathic surgery as well as ATM surgery, according to the candidate’s interest
- Regional economy supported mainly by federal public servants with excellent dental insurance coverage
- Opportunity to exchange professionally with a surgeon with 35 years of experience
- Possess a specialist diploma in oral and maxillofacial surgery recognized by the Order of Dentists of Quebec and hold a valid work permit in Quebec
Associate position available in Calgary, AB at the foot of the beautiful Rocky Mountains and their National Parks. Well-established, modern clinic with CBCT. We are offering IV Sedation and General Anesthesia with on-site Medical Anesthesiologists.
For enquiries, please contact: email@example.com
Post added: Aug 12th
Coronation Dental Specialty Group is seeking an Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon to join our busy and modern practice.
A surgeon who joins our group will be immediately busy with dentoalveolar surgery, implants/bone grafting, and anesthesia. Surgical scope can be expanded as desired; the ability to operate on major cases is available. Private patients are supplied and shared by the practice, without the need to develop a new referral base.
Established 30 years ago, our multi-specialty practice includes OMFS, Periodontics, Endodontics, Oral Pathology, and Medical Anesthesia. Cooperative cross-consultation between our doctors and sharing of knowledge are encouraged.
Coronation’s main office is in Cambridge, Ontario, with six satellites in Waterloo, Guelph, Brantford, Stratford, Woodstock, and Goderich. The associate position will include one or more of these offices.
Candidates should be team players with strong interpersonal skills. In addition, they should have, or be actively pursuing, their specialty licensure in Ontario. Remuneration is competitive.
For further information regarding this opportunity, or to forward your CV, please contact:
Dr. Stephen Cho, Partner
Lynne Veugen, Office Manager
Post added: June 7th
Huronia Oral Surgery Group (HOSG) is a state-of-the-art Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery practice with two locations in Barrie and North Bay, Ontario. We are seeking a motivated surgeon to join our established and growing offices.
We practice wide-scope Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, which includes facial trauma, reconstructive pathology, orthognathic surgery, dentoalveolar and implant surgery. Our current surgeons maintain operating privileges at Royal Victoria Regional Hospital.
Our ideal candidate should be poised to quickly integrate into the community and bring her/his surgical skills to a highly trained, credentialed team to enhance the overall services HOSG provides to the community. If desired, a clear equal partnership track can be negotiated as part of the associateship agreement.
Interested candidates should contact Dr. Mokhtari at: firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
Post added: June 7th
Atlantic Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Centre is hiring a full time and locum Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to join our established surgical and implant centre.
located in St. John’s, NL is a beautiful city that boasts excellent schools, peaceful parks and trails, world-class restaurants, excellent outdoors adventures and many historic treasures. It is a remarkable place to experience, offering a wonderful harmony of larger city living and small-town charm with easy access to nature, eye-catching scenery, and the friendliest people on the planet.
About our Centre:
- The only full time, full scope oral surgery practice in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Multi-disciplinary services in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Oral Pathology & Oral Medicine, Oral & Maxillofacial Radiology
- Spacious, modern clinic with 7 operatories
- Fully digital (charting, radiographs, CBCT, intra oral scanner and 3D printing)
- Established long term relationships with referring practices
- High case volumes and high case acceptance rates
- Dedicated OR time
- Non-assignment insurance billings
- Professional, engaging, rewarding and positive workplace and culture
What we Offer:
- Excellent remuneration, work-life balance, flexible schedule
- No evenings, no weekends
- Travel and accommodations paid, as well as licensure fees
- Mentorship opportunities
- Opportunity for full-time permanent position
- We are open to collaboration and discussing a mutually beneficial schedule and commitment.
Our ideal Candidate:
- Empathetic, professional, and caring individual who strives for excellence when treating patients
- Qualified and Canadian board-certified OMFS (new graduates welcomed)
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. Resumes and CVs can be sent to Chad Decker, HR manager email@example.com. We look forward to speaking with you.
Post added: May 18th
Busy, well established full scope OMFS practice in the Greater Toronto Area looking for an associate. In addition to a busy private practice schedule, there is an opportunity for dedicated OR time, immediate exposure to orthognathic surgery, and one on one mentorship. Great staff, hours, and culture to the office.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and objectives and we look forward to speaking with you!
All applications will be held in strictest confidence.
Post added: March 31st
Opportunity to go from Associate to Owner for the right person. Spa-like ground floor office in beautiful Victoria / Langford… Operating Room (16′ x 19′), 3 bay Recovery Room, 6 Stryker stretchers, 41′ long sterilization work area, Consult room & 2 treatment rooms (all 12′ x 12′), piped with medical grade suction, oxygen, & nitrous oxide, 6 reserved parking stalls adjacent to Reception area, & much more.
Fantastic lifestyle. Four 18-hole golf courses, ocean access Marina, & multiple parks within 10 minutes of the office. Year-round cycling, hiking, fishing, scuba diving, kayaking, and world class skiing nearby. Another OMS office in this region has just closed, so timing for rapid growth in this family oriented community with high rate of Dental Insurance coverage is excellent. If you are an OMS & are serious about relocating, you can contact me by email at email@example.com. OMS ONLY.
Post refreshed: December 13, 2022
Vancouver Central – OMS position.
An excellent opportunity to join and own an established OMS practice in central Vancouver. Facial cosmetics and orthognathic surgery practice focus with long term experiences in dentoalveolar and TMJ.
Hospital access and mentorship with eventual takeover of the practice. Large physical facility and excellent staff.
Please reply with resume and personal information to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Look forward to meeting up.
Seeking Specialist Consultant in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery – Perth West Australia
Specialist Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (SOMFS) is seeking interest from a consultant Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon for a permanent full-time vacancy in private specialist practice in Perth, Western Australia.
About the Practice
SOMFS is a group OMS practice located at 41 Walcott St in Mt Lawley, Central Metropolitan Perth West Australia in the iconic Church Building. The venue also houses a 5 bed / two procedure suite that is licensed for hospital benefits where LA and IV sedations can be performed and has close ties to The Park Private Hospital (<300m away). The Park Private Hospital is a 24-bed facility with a 2 bed HDU and 2 operating theatres of which >60% of its current theatre activity is OMS.
About the Role
Provide comprehensive private surgical services across a wide range of cases including dentoalveolar, dental implant, Temporomandibular Joint, Orthognathic and OMS pathology covering a broad patient age and demographic range.
Work alongside fellow consultant oral and maxillofacial surgeons Clin A/Prof Dieter Gebauer and Prof Ray Williamson in a collegial group practice environment and be supported by a strong administrative team.
This opportunity guarantees a minimum of 2 days of a private practice appointment book and would be a great platform to establish a private practice and or public hospital consulting (Royal Perth Hospital is < 2.5km away) if desired.
What’s on Offer?
Initial invitation to join the practice on a commission basis as an associate surgeon with opportunity for suitable candidates to own equity in the business and free hold partnerships are available.
- Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons and FRACDS (OMS) – or international equivalent
- Registration with AHPRA as a Specialist Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon.
- Complementary values and belief systems aligned with our practice.
Enquiries If you wish to discuss the opportunity further, a zoom meeting can be set up or alternatively via phone on (+61) 439 944 701 or email on email@example.com
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
The Royal College of Dentists of Canada (RCDC) website will answer most of your questions about working in Canada. In summary, in order to become a licensed specialist in Canada, you must be licensed by the Dental Regulatory Authority (DRA) in the province in which you wish to practice. The DRAs use the National Dental Specialty Examination (NSDE), administered by the Royal College of Dentists of Canada, as a measure of competence. If you are an internationally trained dental specialist and have completed a dental speciality program that is not accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada (CDAC) or a body with which CDAC has reciprocal accreditation agreement, please visit the International Candidates page of the RCDC website to find out how to write the NDSE in order to practice in Canada. In order to ensure that you have the most relevant and accurate information on licensing, we recommend that you contact the DRA for the province in which you wish to practice directly. Please visit the Dental Regulatory Authority section of the RCDC website for a list of regulators by province and their contact information – these organizations are able to advice potential candidates of the particular requirements for licensure within each province.
The CAOMS is pleased to offer a Job Board section. Please review the Advertising Policy below and visit the Job Board section to post your ad:
a) Limit your advertisement to 500 words or less and any images should be approximately 600 pixels in width. Any editing is the responsibility of the advertiser.
b) The advertisement will be posted in PDF format. Links to other websites and email addresses can be included in the file.
c) Rate is $100 per month (plus tax), with a 2-month minimum ($200).
d) Payment must be received prior to the posting of the advertisement (online credit card payment).
e) The CAOMS reserves the right to refuse any advertisement.
f) This policy can be changed at any time at the discretion of the CAOMS.
The CAOMS offers many types of support to OMFS Residents:
- All first-year students, from every Canadian Training Centre for OMFS, are eligible recipients of the Dr. Al Swanson award. This CAOMS award is a $300 gift certificate from Elsevier to help defray the costs of educational material.
- Residents can join and benefit from the Canadian Residents Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (CRAOMS), a branch of the CAOMS.
- Membership to the CAOMS is free for students. As such, there are no conference registration fees for Student Members to attend the CAOMS Annual Conference and many other such educational opportunities. Furthermore, upon completion of their studies, a Student Member who has obtained first time licensure/registration in the specialty of OMFS in a Canadian regulatory jurisdiction is eligible for a waiver of Active Membership dues for their first year of membership to the CAOMS provided they apply for membership within 24 months of when they obtained licensure/registration.