Skip to main content


1) Does Health Canada cover expenses related to Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery? If not, how can I obtain financial assistance?

If you are having a surgical procedure completed in a hospital and if it is an eligible procedure, Health Canada may cover some of the costs related to the surgery. Even if the surgery is performed in a hospital, there may be some additional fees owing to your OMFS (this would be discussed in advance). For procedures performed in a private clinic/office, Health Canada does not cover the fees. If you are covered under an insurance plan, please review your plan to determine what portion of your services will be covered. There are some government programs available for financial assistance. These vary from province to province to province and from municipality to municipality. Please contact your local Board of Health to determined if there are any programs that meet your criteria.


2) How do I know if my OMFS is licensed?

The provincial governing bodies of each province publish a list of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons on their websites. By accessing these websites, you may search for an OMFS by name and view different pieces of information about the surgeon, including licensing and their level of qualification. Visit the Royal College of Dentists of Canada (RCDC) to find your provincial governing body and then search for an OMFS by name.


3) I am from another country and wish to practice oral surgery in Canada – how can i become licensed in Canada?

The Royal College of Dentists of Canada (RCDC) website will answer most of your questions about working in Canada. In summary, in order to become a licensed specialist in Canada, you must be licensed by the Dental Regulatory Authority (DRA) in the province in which you wish to practice. The DRAs use the National Dental Specialty Examination (NSDE), administered by the Royal College of Dentists of Canada, as a measure of competence. If you are an internationally trained dental specialist and have completed a dental speciality program that is not accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada (CDAC) or a body with which CDAC has reciprocal accreditation agreement, please visit the International Candidates page of the RCDC website to find out how to write the NDSE in order to practice in Canada. In order to ensure that you have the most relevant and accurate information on licensing, we recommend that you contact the DRA for the province in which you wish to practice directly. Please visit the Dental Regulatory Authority section of the RCDC website for a list of regulators by province and their contact information - these organizations are able to advice potential candidates of the particular requirements for licensure within each province.


4) How can I find an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon who practices a specific type of surgery?

The Find a Surgeon tool will enable you to search for an OMFS by type of procedure, as well as by name, city, and/or province. A list of CAOMS members that meet your criteria will then appear, with detailed information about their services. Contact these offices with your specific requirements and they will be able to guide you.


5) How do I post an advertisement on the CAOMS website?

The CAOMS is pleased to offer a Job Board and Classified's section. Please review the Advertising Policy below and visit the Job Board and Classified's section to post your ad:

a) Limit your advertisement to 500 words or less and any images should be approximately 600 pixels in width. Any editing is the responsibility of the advertiser.
b) The advertisement will be posted in PDF format. Links to other websites and email addresses can be included in the file.
c) Rate is $100 per month (plus tax), with a 2-month minimum ($200).
d) Payment must be received prior to the posting of the advertisement (online credit card payment).
e) The CAOMS reserves the right to refuse any advertisement.
f) This policy can be changed at any time at the discretion of the CAOMS.


6) What kind of support does the CAOMS offer Residents?

The CAOMS offers many types of support to OMFS Residents:

- All first-year students, from every Canadian Training Centre for OMFS, are eligible recipients of the Dr. Al Swanson award. This CAOMS award is a $300 gift certificate from Elsevier to help defray the costs of educational material.

- Residents can join and benefit from the Canadian Residents Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (CRAOMS), a branch of the CAOMS.

- Membership to the CAOMS is free for students. As such, there are no conference registration fees for Student Members to attend the CAOMS Annual Conference and many other such educational opportunities. Furthermore, upon completion of their studies, a Student Member who has obtained first time licensure/registration in the specialty of OMFS in a Canadian regulatory jurisdiction is eligible for a waiver of Active Membership dues for their first year of membership to the CAOMS provided they apply for membership within 24 months of when they obtained licensure/registration.


7. If I have any concerns about the services I have received from an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, what should I do?

If you are dissatisfied with the service you have been provided, call your Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon and make another appointment to discuss your concerns. You OMFS is a health care professional and will make every effort to address your issue. If you are still dissatisfied after expressing your concerns to your OMFS, you can contact your provincial governing body for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Visit the Royal College of Dentists of Canada (RCDC) to find your provincial governing body.